Oberammergau Passion Play – 10 Facts
- The very first performance of the Passion Play in Oberammergau was performed in 1634.
- 2022 will be the 42nd Passion Play and will play From May 16th to October.
- The music for the Passion Play 2022 is largely based on the compositions of Rochus Dedler (1779 – 1822) who was born in Oberammergau. Rochus Dedler was born in Oberammergau.
- In 2022 there will be 55 instrumentalists in the orchestra comprising classical woodwind players, brass players, timpani and string players.
- Only people born in Oberammergau or who have lived there for at least 20 years are allowed to take part in the play.
- 1830 citizens applied to be involved in the 2022 Passion Play.
- The Announcement of the cast for 2022 was announced on October 20 and broadcast in a live feed on YouTube
- 450,000 visitors are expected to attend the 2022 Passion Play which will have performances 5 days a week.
- There is seating for 4500 spectators per show.
- Each performance lasts approximately 5 hours with an intermission of three hours in the middle.
Photos of Oberamergau, cast, stage and Play in this website courtesy of Passion Play 2022 Oberammergau www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de